Wednesday 23 January 2013

Book Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Seeing that I still have a lot of time on my hands before I start my report for school, I thought I'd write another review, and this time about one of my favorite theme/genre: Dystopian! My first dystopian novel that I've ever read was actually 'Uglies' by Scott Westerfield, and from the moment I read it, I was hooked! Dystopian themed novels to me always have something to do with rebelling and breaking the rules somewhere in the story. Although we have to obey the rules and ways of society, there is always a part where we'd just follow our hearts and rebel against reality.

Before reading 'Matched' by Ally Condie, I literally had no expectations (seeing that I wasn't familiar with the author) and was just blown away by the beauty of the cover design. At first, it looked like a young girl trapped in a bubble, but after reading the story, my imagery of it turned a different direction.

                                              Matched (Matched, #1)

Cassia(main character) has always trusted the society and officials to decide her future and fate. In this perfect world she lives in, everything is decided for you. Who you will be paired with, where you will work, and when you die. Note that not everyone in this world of her's are paired with their matches. Some choose to me singles which mean they live their whole life without a match, and some become abberations which mean they cannot be matched by the society. We first start the book with Cassia and her friend 'Xander' on an air train, headed for their first Match Banquet. Cassia is nervous (as everyone else is as well), since for the first time, the society will match her with the person she will be spending her whole life with. At the banquet, something unique happens. Cassia is not paired up with person from a different area, but she is paired by with her childhood friend Xander. So you'd think everything is going ship shape in this novel so far, well guess what, your headed for a different direction. Everything changes for Cassia after she see's a different face flash on her screen while looking for more info on Xander. Now Cassia is headed for a unique journey where she faces which person is her true love.

Some parts of this book are really boring, I'm not gonna lie. But the whole point of the story and theme is what brings me to a decision of 8 stars for my total review. Ally Condie was able to show the strength of love and hope and was also able to define the whole 'follow your heart' meaning in this story. Not only did Cassia make some tough and crucial decisions throughout the journey, but she did it from her heart. Not even I would have such courage to even face the decisions that she has made. It takes a little more depth of reading to actually get into the story and not be snoring through the air train. A few chapters at the beginning, I honestly didn't even like Cassia. I didn't know her, and I was ready to put the book down and reclaim that Uglies would forever be the awesomest Dystopian book ever. After reading half of the book, I started to feel close to Cassia, and as I was walking the journey with her and every step she took, I followed. That's where my opinion went to 'This might not be a bad novel after all.' My thoughts on the cover had also changed. I now see the cover as Cassia in one of the tablets she is supposed to take. There are 3 tablets: A green one, Blue one, and Red one. In each cover (since there are 3 novels to this trilogy), they have a different color. Crossed's (second book) cover is Blue, and Reached's (third book) cover is Red. So I think that each cover is of Cassia and one of her tablets.

If you are the type of person who loves a good teen romance and that 'follow your heart' themed sweet and girly stories, then you are sure to love reading 'Matched'. I feel that this might not be for everyone. It doesn't have that awesome and exciting action that Uglies has with the hoverboards and cool gear, but it does have that cool futuristic imagery with air trains and screen message boards. The good thing is that this novel is being turned into a movie maybe this year or in 2014, but whatever, I can stand the wait as long as it will be good (: . As for Cassia, I really don't know who my ideal celebrity would be to play her character, but it better be someone new or unrecognized. As for Ky, I'd really love for someone like Logan Lerman to play his character, since he has that cute vibe that I always imagined Ky having. Xander seems like one of those really hott and popular guys that all the girls want, so I hope they choose the right actor for him as well!!

My favorite character from the novel would be Xander. Although he is a little awkward with Cassia and doesn't really display his affection all the time with her, I think he is a really sweet guy. I was sort of upset with the decision Cassia had made, but I hope to be seeing him again in the sequel 'Crossed'.

I've always imagined Cassia's world to look artificial or almost like a robot world. Since it is futuristic, with air trains and developed technology, I always thought that it would look like the space world in the Jetsons.

                                
   (This picture is of the Arch Bridge in Dubai. This picture is from io9.com. No copyright intended)    


Favorite quote(s) from the novel:

     “Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.” 

     “Do not go gentle.” 

 “Our time together feels like a storm, like a wild wind and rain, like something too big to handle but too powerful to escape.” 


-Lia


    

3 comments:

  1. Great review. I really enjoyed Matched. I didn't find it boring, but I know a lot of other people did. Love your review style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a big fan of your blog!!! (:

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete