Friday 31 January 2014

Blog Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

Halo!!!


Guess what, book mania is almost here! Can't wait till tomorrow, because it will officially be bookathon month! It's not official, but I still believe that February is the month that books should be appreciated. Theres so many awesome books that are being released on February after all (:

It's seems as if I've opened a door to another path in this world, it's hard to explain but I think I'm in love. Of this book of course. -__- commonly, I've always been a little skeptical about novels that have a fairy tale or royalty type feel, I mean that's so disney, right? But reading this dystopian novel was actually quite pleasant and it was definitely captivating, If I do say so myself.


                          

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon (He's absolutely gorgeous btw).

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen (Hi Aspen!), who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined (DUN DUN DUNNNNN!).

I give this novel 9.9 stars for it's enchantment, compellingness, and overall pure awesomeness!!! Like seriously, when I was reading a few chapters, I was honestly falling asleep every 10 minutes, yes the beginning wasn't all that. America was so dull and Aspen was so lifeless, it was like a crack in the wall. And this whole fascinating this about castes. An 8 is practically a peasant rank while a 2 is a real uptown and wealthy rank. The caste 1 obviously belongs to the royal family. Basically America is a 5, or a 6 (Can't remember, read this like a few weeks ago). Aspen is an 8 I believe. 

Normally I like to go for the down to earth and long time friend guys, but this time, Aspen was honestly killing things for me. He was sooooooooooooo aggravatingly annoying and stubborn. Like why won't you accept a nice gift from your own girlfriend. Are you like not supposed to accept anything from her and always just give her things yourself!!??? OH ASPEN! Y U SO IRRITATING!!!


                                                     


And so Aspen basically tells her to enter into the competition, breaks her heart, and acts as if he'd done nothing...ehemm, plz excuse me as I go jump off a cliff. Not only did America do exactly what he wanted her to do, but she basically already planned out her whole future with him! She planned on them living happily ever after, and then we get the love of her life take these dreams in his hand and crush it with all his might. My hope in humanity is now lost..for now.

So America goes to the kingdom, in a competition against 34 other girls, God knows how long the freaking competition would go on for, it could take years. Yes, being locked in a castle for almost half your life just for the sake of being a number 1. Pfft, see? They're not stupid :D . Now Maxon, let me tell ya, this princey might be easy on the eyes, but oh lawd! He so luxuriantly pulchritudinous!! Like, I wish I was taking the place of little Tiny. Omg and remember the bet that he made with America during breakfast?! I was literally like this throughout that whole part:

                                    


Now essentially, the extensive point of America still being there is because she wants her family to be able to receive the money that they need, and America being in that contest would enable her family to receive money from the kingdom. So at least now we know that she's not there for absolutely no reason. Maxon and America honestly make me so giggly and joyous cause they are so organic when they are together. America like makes Maxon really happy and less worried and even Maxon makes America feel like an actual princess. Maxon never really knew about what went on outside of the kingdom. And that's weird, cause he's like practically next in line for the throne. After finding out about what it's really like out there, Maxon made some courageous and smart decisions to help the poor and needy people in the town.

Then theres actually a war going on...YADA YADA YADA...a revolution..the north side and the south side...YADA YADA..and YADA. It's hard for me to actually be captivated by this because I don't have enough information to further my understanding view and perspective. Really hope that it'll have more information about it in the second book, because I'm actually really curious

My favorite character is by far Maxon. He's like the most perfect guy in the world. He treats America so well even though America had no interest in him in the beginning and especially after she has pretty much insulted him and was such a whiny baby when they first met. Although they've had some conflict (almost all couples do), Maxon and America can't deny the fact that they love eachother. My dream actor to play Maxon would totally be Max Irons. He has that total prince appeal and is to die for!

               
                                       
                                       AHHHH THIS IS TOTALLY MAXON!! RIGHT!??


America is definitely an interesting character. She seems like a loyal and reliable person, I really would love to have her as a friend. Although she was sort of hard to understand, her intentions were always good and she is far from selfish! On the other hand, I think that Aspen is a little selfish. Yeah, I know that he thinks he is doing to right thing for America, well, he really isn't. Honestly, why would you just call things of with a girl if you really love her and she really loves you? And I'm totally not taking this 'She fell' thing with that incident that happened when America was getting ready to leave for the kingdom. America totally saw what she saw, and I bet he's totally covering something up. And now all of a sudden he wants to get back together!??

                                  

                                                 


Super dupes excited to read 'The Elite' and cant wait for some more Maxonnnn!! ^_^
Oh and the rest...yeh I'm excited for them too >.>


Favorite quote(s) from the novel:


“True love is usually the most inconvenient kind.”

“No, I’m not choosing him or you. I’m choosing me.”

“You get confused by crying women, I get confused by walks with princes.” 

“Your Majesty—
Tugging my ear. Whenever.”   (LOL LOVE THIS ONE)


                     

-Lia <3


No comments:

Post a Comment